Not sure what plan is right for you? Take Our Medicare Quiz

Request A Quote

Speak to an advisor

866-MEDIGAP (633-4427)

TTY: Dial 711

Email Us

Not sure what plan is right for you? Take Our Medicare Quiz

Should I stay with Original Medicare or Choose a Medicare Advantage Plan?

  • Medicare with Melissa

Remember, Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) will only cover about 80% of your Medicare eligible costs.  This can be devastating financially if you have to pay the other 20% of costs.  If you can’t budget for a Medicare Supplement Plan, you should at least choose the best Medicare Advantage plan that fits your needs.  These plans provide All the benefits of Part A and Part B and they also provide extra benefits too.  

The table below shows high-level differences between Original Medicare and a Medicare Advantage plan.

Original Medicare vs Medicare Advantage

Original MedicareMedicare Advantage
CostsYou will be charged for standardized Part A and Part B costs, including monthly Part B premium. Responsible for paying a 20% coinsurance for Medicare-covered services if you see a participating provider and after meeting your deductible.Your cost-sharing varies depending on plan. Usually pay a copayment for in-network care. Plans may charge a monthly premium in addition to Part B premium.
Supplemental InsuranceYou have a choice to pay an additional premium for a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plan to cover costs that Medicare does not cover. Remember, Medicare covers about 80%.Cannot purchase a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) policy.
Provider AccessNo Networks:  Can see any provider and use any facility that accepts Medicare (participating and non-participating).Networks of doctors, hospitals and facilities.  Typically, you only want to see in-network providers or your costs go up.
ReferralsDo not need referrals for specialists.Typically need referrals for specialists.
Drug CoverageMust sign up for a stand-alone prescription drug plan. Most plans provide prescription drug coverage (you may be required to pay a higher premium).
Other BenefitsDoes not cover vision, hearing, or dental services.Most plans cover additional services, including vision, hearing, and/or dental (additional benefits may increase your premium and/or other out-of-pocket costs).
Out-of-Pocket LimitNo out-of-pocket limit.Annual out-of-pocket limit. Plan pays the full cost of your care after you reach the limit.

Learn More: How do I compare all the different Medicare Advantage Plans?

People Also Read: What are the different types of Medicare Advantage Plans?

Popular Search: When is the annual open enrollment period?

Related Article: Why Medicare Advantage Plans Are Bad


Meet Melissa MacCalla

Medicare is not simple and can be hard, frustrating, and downright confusing for most. I love when I get someone on the phone and I am given the opportunity to explain the difference in plans to them and have Medicare make sense. I enjoy talking to clients year after year, hearing about their families growing or them asking about mine.


Oh my gosh!! I was so confused about the Medicare Supplement process. I am turning 65 soon and am retired and have always had insurance thru my former employer. I didn’t know a thing about going on Medicare and was struggling to sort it all out.

A friend of mine recommended contacting Senior HealthCare Solutions, so I did. Melissa was FANTASTIC!! She was professional, responsive, caring and friendly. She explained the steps I needed to take, gathered my information, helped me choose good plans for MY specific needs and took care of my applications over the phone. 1-2-3, eesy-peesy and I was done!! And it didn’t cost me a DIME!!! WOW!!! I HIGHLY recommend Senior Healthcare Solutions for anyone who’s overwhelmed with making the right choices with Medicare Supplemental Insurance and Rx coverage. It’ll take a load off your mind!

Janice W.

Get Help Now

Be sure to sign up and stay up to date on new articles and Medicare updates.
Zip Code*

🔒Your information is safe and secure.

You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Excellent Rating

Have Questions? Want to Chat?

Use the link below to schedule an appointment with us.

Other posts you may interested in…

Lower Medicare Supplement Premiums in 2023

Lower Medicare Supplement Premiums in 2023

While most costs continue to increase, we are expecting lower Medicare Supplement premiums in 2023.  Don’t get stuck paying more than you need to. Be sure to review your Medigap premium in 2023 and speak with a licensed agent at Senior HealthCare Solutions. Our team can compare over 25+ top-rated Medicare carriers in minutes.

read more
%d bloggers like this: