- Plan F: Medicare pays 80%. Plan F will pay the remaining 20%. Plan F covers 100% of coinsurance, copays and deductibles on all Medicare covered services.
- Plan G: Medicare pays 80%. Plan G has a Part B deductible. Once this is met, Plan G covers 100% of coinsurance, copays and deductibles on all Medicare covered services. The Part B deductible is Medicare Part B Deductible: $233 in 2022.
- Plan N: Medicare pays 80%. Plan N you pay the Part B deductible of Medicare Part B Deductible: $233 in 2022 Once this is met, you will pay $20 copay at some doctor offices and a $50 copy at the emergency room if you are not admitted. Plan N does not pay Part B excess charges.
Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plan F, Plan G and Plan N comparison of coverage
The benefit chart compares Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans F, G and N.
Note: A ✓ means 100% of benefit is paid with the exception of foreign travel. Foreign travel is covered 80%.
Comparison of Plan F, Plan G and Plan N
|Medicare Supplement Plan Benefits Comparison||F||G||N|
|Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital coverage.Up to an additional 365 days after Medicare benefits are used up||✓||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part B:Coinsurance or copayment||✓||✓||Copays Apply1|
|Blood: First 3 Pints||✓||✓||✓|
|Hospice Care Part A||✓||✓||✓|
|Skilled Nursing Facility Coinsurance||✓||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part A Deductible||✓||✓||✓|
|Medicare Part B Deductible||✓|
|Medicare Part B Excess Charges||✓||✓|
|Foreign Travel Emergency (up to plan limits)||✓||✓||✓|
1 Plan N pays 100% of Part B co-insurance, except for a co-payment of up to $20 for some doctor office visits and up to $50 for the emergency room. Plan N does not pay the Part B deductible of Medicare Part B Deductible: $233 in 2022.
Additional Facts on Medicare Supplemental Insurance
- Each standardized Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan must offer the same basic benefits no matter which insurance company sells it.
- Cost and rating are usually the only difference between Medicare Supplement plans with the same letter sold by different insurance companies.
- In Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, Medigap Plans are designed as “a la carte” plans where consumers can choose specific benefits and design a plan specifically for their needs.
- Medicare doesn’t pay any premium for a client to receive a Medicare Supplement policy and some states have a cap on Medicare Supplement premiums.
- Medicare Part C, also known as Medicare Advantage, is offered through private insurance companies as an alternative way to retain insurance.
- Medigap Plans are not the same as Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C).
Learn More: Which Medigap Plan Should I Choose?
People Also Read: How much does a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan cost?
Popular Search: Humana Medigap