Not sure what plan is right for you? Take Our Medicare Quiz

Request A Quote

Speak to an advisor

866-MEDIGAP (633-4427)

TTY: Dial 711

Email Us

Not sure what plan is right for you? Take Our Medicare Quiz

Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount or IRMAA is a surcharge that high-income people will pay in addition to their monthly premium.  Social Security sets income brackets that determine your (or you and your spouse) IRMAA. 

Determination is based on the income you reported on your IRS tax returns two years prior.  This is based on your modified adjusted gross income, meaning your adjusted gross income and other forms of tax-exempt income. 

You will get a notice from Social Security if you have Medicare Part B or Medicare Part D.  IRMAA payments go directly to Medicare even if you pay monthly premiums to an insurance company. 

Part D: 2021 IRMAA is based on your filing status and income in 2019
File Individual Tax ReturnFile Joint Tax ReturnFile Married and Separate Tax ReturnWhat you will pay each month
$88,000 or less$176,000 or less$88,000 or lessYour plan premium
$88,000 up to $111,000$176,000 up to $222,000not applicable$12.30 + your plan premium
$111,000 up to $138,000$222,000 up to $276,000not applicable$31.80 + your plan premium
$138,000 up to $165,000$276,000 up to $330,000not applicable$51.20 + your plan premium
$165,000 up to $500,000$330,000 up to $750,000above $88,000 and less than $412,000$70.70 + your plan premium
$500,000 and above$750,000 and above$412,000 and above$77.10 + your plan premium

How can I appeal IRMAA?

You have a right to appeal Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount – IRMAA if you believe it is incorrect or if you have had a life changing event:

  • Death of spouse
  • Marriage
  • Divorce or annulment
  • Work reduction
  • Work stoppage
  • Loss of income from income producing property
  • Loss or reduction of certain kinds of pension income

Appeals Process:  You must request a reconsideration of the initial determination from Social Security.  This can be done by calling Social Security at 800-772-1213 or by writing Social Security.  There is an appeal form SSA-44 titled Medicare Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount – Life Changing Event.  This form can be found on the Social Security web site.  

SSA-44 Form

Learn More: What is Part B or Part D IRMAA charges?

People Also Read: What are Part D Stages?

%d bloggers like this: