Not sure what plan is right for you? Take Our Medicare Quiz

Request A Quote

2023 Medicare Cost Year Over Year Comparison

Speak to an advisor

866-MEDIGAP (633-4427)

TTY: Dial 711

Email Us

Medicare Enrollment Starts In...








Not sure what plan is right for you? Take Our Medicare Quiz

Does Medicare Pay For A Walker?

  • Medicare with Melissa

As our bodies age, mobility often becomes a major concern. Many seniors turn to walkers, a simple yet effective mobility aid that can drastically improve the quality of life. Fortunately, Medicare provides extensive coverage for durable medical equipment (DME) including walkers under Medicare Part B. Keep reading to learn all about walkers and the specific coverage that Medicare provides for these mobility devices.

Click the play button above to watch a 60 second short on Does Medicare Pay For A Walker

The Importance of Walkers for Senior Mobility

As we age, our bodies naturally undergo various changes, and one of the most significant is a decline in mobility. Multiple factors contribute to this decline, including muscle loss, joint issues, arthritis, and a decrease in balance and coordination. These changes can make it increasingly challenging to navigate through our daily lives, often leading to the need for additional support. This is where walkers can play a crucial role in maintaining autonomy and safety.

Walkers, in their various forms, provide a structure for stability and balance. They act as an extension of the body, creating a wider base of support to maintain balance while walking or standing. This extra support can be particularly helpful when navigating uneven surfaces, negotiating turns, or managing steps. It’s like having an extra pair of hands to steady you.

Another critical role walkers play is reducing the risk of falls, which is a concern for many seniors. Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) paint a concerning picture: each year, one in four seniors falls, making it the leading cause of both fatal and nonfatal injuries in this age group. This statistic underlines how important fall prevention is for seniors. A walker, by providing that added stability and balance, can be a critical tool in minimizing this risk.

But walkers aren’t just about preventing falls. They’re also about promoting activity. As mobility declines, it’s not uncommon for seniors to limit their activities due to fear of falling or the physical strain. This reduction can lead to a vicious cycle of further muscle loss, balance issues, and isolation. A walker can help break this cycle. By providing a means of safely navigating the environment, walkers encourage seniors to remain active and engaged.

Medicare Coverage for Walkers

Medicare Part B does offer coverage for durable medical equipment (DME), which includes items like walkers. This is intended to help you maintain your mobility and independence, even when faced with physical challenges. To be eligible, your doctor must prescribe the walker as medically necessary, and the equipment must be supplied by a Medicare-approved supplier. When these conditions are met, Medicare Part B will cover 80% of the approved amount after you’ve met your yearly deductible. You’re responsible for the remaining 20%.

But what if that 20% still seems a bit steep? That’s where Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) and Medicare Supplement Plans (Medigap) come into the picture.

Medicare Advantage Plans are offered by private insurance companies and provide all your Part A and Part B benefits while often offering extra coverage, such as vision, hearing, dental, and DME. Most Advantage Plans also include prescription drug coverage. This means that if you opt for a Medicare Advantage Plan, your walker could potentially be covered at a higher rate than the standard 80% provided by Original Medicare. Be sure to check with your specific plan provider to determine what your out-of-pocket costs would be.

Additionally, Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) helps pays some of the healthcare costs that Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) doesn’t cover. This can include things like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles. This means that if Medicare Part B covers 80% of the cost of the walker (once the deductible is met), your Medigap policy would cover the remaining 20%, depending on the specific Medigap plan that you have.

If you’re unsure about what the best option is for you, consult with a Senior Healthcare Solutions Medicare expert at 866-MEDIGAP (866-633-4427).

Types of Walkers to Consider

Walkers aren’t one-size-fits-all. They come in various types, each designed to accommodate different mobility needs and preferences. The most common types include standard walkers, two-wheeled walkers, and rollators.

Standard walkers are the most basic type. They have four legs with rubber-tipped feet for stability. This type of walker requires you to lift it and place it forward with each step, providing significant support and balance. Standard walkers offer a high level of stability and support but require decent arm strength to lift and move.

Two-wheeled walkers, as the name suggests, have two wheels on the front legs. The wheels allow for smoother movement without the need to lift the walker completely. It’s a great option for those who need a balance of stability and ease of movement. While two-wheeled walkers move more easily, this type of walker offers slightly less stability than the standard type.

Rollators, or four-wheeled walkers, are equipped with a seat, backrest, and sometimes even a basket. They are ideal for those who need to take frequent breaks or carry items around. Since rollators don’t require lifting, they can be easier to maneuver, especially outdoors or over longer distances. However, they provide less stability than standard or two-wheeled walkers.

Hemi walkers are designed for people who have strength and balance issues on one side of the body. They have a wider base for increased stability and can be used with one hand. Hemi walkers are often used by people recovering from strokes or surgery.

Finding the Right Walker

Choosing the right walker involves more than picking the one you like the look of. There are a few key factors to consider ensuring you’re getting a walker that’s right for you.

Firstly, consider your physical condition. What kind of support do you need? If you need considerable support and balance, a standard walker may be best. If you need less support and want smoother movement, a two-wheeled walker or rollator might be more suitable.

Next, consider where you’ll be using the walker. If you’ll be using it mainly indoors, a smaller walker might be more manageable. But if you plan on using it outdoors, consider a walker with larger wheels to navigate uneven surfaces better.

Lastly, consider comfort and convenience features. These might include padded hand grips, adjustable heights, and additional features like seats and baskets on rollators.


As you’ve learned, Medicare does cover the cost of a walker if it’s deemed medically necessary by a doctor. With your Part B coverage, you’re eligible for durable medical equipment, which includes mobility aids like walkers. There are a few stipulations to consider, such as purchasing from a Medicare-approved supplier and paying the 20% of the Medicare-approved amount. It’s important for you to understand the ins and outs of your coverage to fully maximize the benefits you receive.

Don’t shy away from discussing your needs with your healthcare provider. If you think a walker could improve your quality of life, initiate a conversation. Your doctor can assess your situation, and if they agree with your assessment, they’ll gladly write you a prescription for a walker. This prescription is your gateway to getting this essential tool covered under your Medicare plan, while saving you money.

Understanding Medicare coverage for durable medical equipment such as walkers might seem complex. At Senior Healthcare Solutions, we’re committed to simplifying the process for you. For fast and friendly support, give us a call at 866-MEDIGAP (866-633-4427). We’re here for all your Medicare needs and want to ensure you have the best coverage possible, so you can access the mobility aids you need without any unnecessary stress or confusion.

Meet Melissa MacCalla

Medicare is not simple and can be hard, frustrating, and downright confusing for most. I love when I get someone on the phone and I am given the opportunity to explain the difference in plans to them and have Medicare make sense. I enjoy talking to clients year after year, hearing about their families growing or them asking about mine.


Oh my gosh!! I was so confused about the Medicare Supplement process. I am turning 65 soon and am retired and have always had insurance thru my former employer. I didn’t know a thing about going on Medicare and was struggling to sort it all out.

A friend of mine recommended contacting Senior HealthCare Solutions, so I did. Melissa was FANTASTIC!! She was professional, responsive, caring and friendly. She explained the steps I needed to take, gathered my information, helped me choose good plans for MY specific needs and took care of my applications over the phone. 1-2-3, eesy-peesy and I was done!! And it didn’t cost me a DIME!!! WOW!!! I HIGHLY recommend Senior Healthcare Solutions for anyone who’s overwhelmed with making the right choices with Medicare Supplemental Insurance and Rx coverage. It’ll take a load off your mind!

Janice W.

"*" indicates required fields

Get Help Now

Be sure to sign up and stay up to date on new articles and Medicare updates.
Zip Code*

🔒Your information is safe and secure.

You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Excellent Rating

Have Questions? Want to Chat?

Use the link below to schedule an appointment with us.

Other posts you may interested in…

%d bloggers like this: